Monday, May 24, 2010

Simple Prayers

Last night we had family dinner at my Mom's house for my Grandmothers 93rd birthday. My grandmother has Alzheimer's and usually doesn't talk much but to mumble a few words that never make sense. But last night she was in a good mood. In the last 3 years I have not seen her that happy, and it was contagious. We were all laughing with the silly things she said. And she would laugh because we were laughing. As is the tradition in our family, whose ever birthday it is says the dinner prayer. Not knowing if she actually could say the prayer or not my dad let her give it a try. She started out, "Our Father in Heaven, Thank you for the birthday of Oliver (my little nephew who was born just 2 months ago. Really it was amazing that she remembered his name!) and then she proceeded to sing "Happy Birthday to you." It was a great prayer. I love simple prayers. The prayers that have just a few words but mean so much. I remember my brother-in-laws prayer for his little baby girl when she was very ill, shortly after his conversion to the church. All he said was, "Heavenly Father, bless Isabelle to get better. Amen" But is was said with so much conviction and knowing that prayers can be answered that there wasn't a dry eye in the room. Lately I have been saying my own simple prayer almost every night: "Heavenly Father please keep our house from flooding." It my seem silly but with everything else going on right now I can not handle another thing. I know Heavenly Father listens to even these simple prayers as he does to any of the most eloquent prayers. I know he listens to my prayers and has on more occasions then I can count answered those prayers. Indeed, yesterday we did have a happy birthday as prayed for by my grandmother, and Isabelle did bet better, and so far my house still has not flooded. I am thankful for simple prayers

No comments: